Wednesday 4 December 2013

NY Times, AFP photographers among at least 30 journalists injured in clashes with police



NY Times, AFP photographers among at least 30 journalists injured in clashes with police

When baton-wielding riot police outside the presidential offices began to charge, Denys Danko held up the only shield he knows -- his journalist's identification card.

"I'm a reporter," said the award-winning journalist from 1+1 channel.

"I don't give a [expletive]," was the last thing he heard before he fell down.

A column of riot police charged around 5 p.m. on Dec. 1 at a crowd of protestors, some of whom had been attacked with rocks and a digger.

As the police charged, they beat everything in their path. Danko was among several dozen people who hid in the courtyard of the Writers' Union building on Bankova Street.

"Every officer running by me hit me with a club. I was hit 30 times all together. They kicked me in the head, chest, hands," said Danko, who now has seven stitches on his head.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/at-least-30-journalists-injured-in-clashes-with-police-332782.html

No comments:

Post a Comment